Orthopedic Negligence: Care Before, During A After Surgery
Orthopedic surgeons perform a wide range of surgical and nonsurgical procedures on bones and skeletal-related problems. Patients of orthopedic surgeons seek help for a variety of injuries and conditions, including sports injuries, car accidents, tumors, degenerative diseases and other causes of physical trauma.
When orthopedic doctors do their job well, they have the ability to transform people’s lives in an amazing way. When they make critical mistakes, people can be left severely injured and debilitated.
What Is Medical Negligence?
Certainly, all surgery involves risks. Even when surgeries go well, unexpected injuries can occur. Many of the most severe complications that arise during and after surgery are preventable. They are often the consequence of poor choices.
Some examples of orthopedic negligence are obvious. These cases may involve a surgeon performing surgery on the wrong leg or leaving a surgical instrument inside the patient’s body.
Most cases, however, are far more complex and difficult to prove negligence. Common causes of orthopedic malpractice claims include:
- Surgical errors
- Failure to refer a patient to a more specialized surgeon
- Failure to protect patient from infection with pre and /or post-operative antibiotics
- Failure to properly diagnose a bone fracture (back, neck, vertebrae)
- Failure to properly read and check medical charts
- Failure to properly prep the patient for surgery
- Post-surgery errors (failure to monitor and care for the patient after surgery)
Protect Your Rights: Contact An Attorney
If you have been injured as a result of a negligent orthopedic surgeon, nurse or staff member who handled your care, contact an attorney as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.
If you have been injured in Oregon or Washington, the experienced medical malpractice attorneys at Sokol & Associates, P.C., can help. Our firm has helped many injured patients protect their rights and obtain compensation for injuries sustained as a result of medical negligence.
Experienced Trial Lawyer — More Than 35 Years Of Legal Experience
The founder of our firm, attorney Larry Sokol, has been handling medical malpractice cases for more than 35 years. As an experienced negotiator and trial lawyer, he can protect your rights and seek the peace of mind you deserve.
Our firm handles all orthopedic negligence claims, including:
- Surgical errors causing injury to the back, spine or neck
- Knee surgery errors
- Shoulder surgery errors
- Surgical negligence causing nerve damage, paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Surgical errors causing brain damage
- Surgical errors resulting in death/wrongful death claims
If you need to speak with an experienced medical malpractice attorney, contact Sokol & Associates, P.C., in Portland, Oregon.