Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Oregon?

When a person dies as the result of the negligent or wrongful acts of another, certain surviving family members can recover damages for their loss. While immediate family members have priority, other relatives may also have a claim.

At Sokol & Foster in Portland, our attorneys handle wrongful death cases in Oregon and southwestern Washington. If you lost a family member due to the actions of another, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and determine if you have the right to seek compensation.

Who Is Eligible to Recover Damages?

In Oregon, the personal representative of the estate files a wrongful death claim on behalf of all family members who are eligible to recover damages. Eligible family members include the spouse and children of the deceased. Other family members such as grandparents, siblings and stepchildren may also have the right to recover damages. If there are no surviving immediate family members, other relatives such as aunts and uncles may be eligible.

Our lawyers will review the circumstances in your case and let you know if you are eligible to recover damages. We can also assist you in the process of appointing a personal representative to file the wrongful death claim.

In Oregon, you have three years following the death of your loved one to file a wrongful death claim. However, it's important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can collect and preserve the evidence we need to prove that another party was negligent in causing your loved one's death.

Contact Sokol & Foster: We Are Here to Help

For more information about filing a wrongful death claim, call 503-575-9683 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation. The consultation is confidential, and you are under no obligation.